Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Health Bits

I had a couple of blips with my diet in the last few weeks. I overate on some watermelon, which, as it turns out, is only okay for me to eat in moderation - who'da thunk it? And then I had some backpacking food that is incredibly delicious, but also includes nuts and veggies with skin. Both instances resulted in 12 to 24 hours of bloating and general discomfort. The positive takeaway being that I'm learning.

At my follow-up appointment for the gastroparesis diagnosis, I received a more comprehensive list of what I should and shouldn't eat. It was a bit different from things that I'd looked up, but now that we have an official doctor's list, my husband is very much on board with me eating those things. He says it will help him eat healthier - though there are some very healthy things on my "do not eat" list, like oatmeal and brown rice.

I'm increasing my exercise in preparation for backpacking season. This has resulted in a good deal of muscle aches, especially as my calves are adjusting to a new type of shoe that has zero heel drop. I'm running up hills during my exercise release time at work, and though I have a hard time starting out, and my body protests for most of the run, I'm liking how I feel when I finish. Accomplished, and capable. I'm not fast, but I can keep moving, even uphill.

I had a couple days in the last two weeks where I accidentally slept in when I meant to get up at 4:30 in the morning for CrossFit. Both times, I went after work instead. In years past, getting myself to CrossFit after work was a mental struggle. By the end of the workday, I just didn't want to do anything but go home and collapse. For whatever reason, I'm much easier about it now. I don't feel that dread of moving when I get home from work. Maybe I'm happier at work than I used to be.

I haven't had coffee for about a month now. No caffeine for a week less. I felt pretty good about my taper this time. The withdrawal headache was manageable with drinking green tea every day for about a week after stopping coffee. It's a bit weird, especially in office culture, not to be a coffee drinker. "Everyone" drinks coffee! We joke about how we aren't really awake or ready to do things until we've drunk our coffee and now I'm operating without that social connection. I feel overall better not drinking it, though I do miss the taste, and the warmth.

No comments:

Post a Comment