Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Writing Progress

I've been feeling sick for what seems like forever but it likely a mere 9 weeks. And, while I was feeling ill, it was difficult to get myself at my writing desk. My brain felt full of phlegm and fuzzy. Sitting up took so much more effort than lounging on the couch. And every time I thought I was feeling better, I started to feel worse within another day. It was discouraging.

So I haven't gotten the guidebooks done that I wanted to finish before the end of the year. Now, there's still time to get them done, but I'm not sure if I'm going to. However, I am going to be working on them every day. I've made a dent in the one for the Chamberlain Basin and I've had some thoughts about the Queens River. I want to be sure to include how much the terrain in one section of the Queens River has changed since we started hiking there.

Once I get the guidebooks complete, I'm hoping to work on a little more fiction. I've got one more project that I had started and never finished, and then I'll have to start thinking about new things. Well, there was one other project, but I never actually started writing, it was more of a planning stage thing. Maybe I'll revisit that. Maybe not.

I'm pleased with how my solo trip book turned out this year. It's shorter than most of the previous ones, but I expected that. There's not a lot of variation in that section of the trail, after all. And I feel like I was able to put more of the experience into the book.

So now I need to figure out the balance of how to write a guidebook that will help people find their way in areas that aren't so commonly used and also give them some personality to chew on. I think I'm getting it, but I really don't know. Only one way to find out - let the readers decide.

Which means I need to publish! Time to get to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment